BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Fatal error (bad version): OpenSSH_5.0p1

2008-07-30 05:49:25
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Fatal error (bad version): OpenSSH_5.0p1
From: brunal <brunal2496 AT gmail DOT com>
To: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 11:49:12 +0200
Hi,

first of all, thanks all for your help!

>>> server --sender --numeric-ids --perms --owner --group -D --links --
>>> hard-links --times --block-size=2048 --recursive --ignore-times . /
>>> home/racine/archives/
>>> Xfer PIDs are now 624
>>> Got remote protocol 1852141647
>>> Fatal error (bad version): OpenSSH_5.0p1
>
> That means File::RsyncP does not accept "OpenSSH_5.0p1" as version
> number of
> the remote rsync. That's fine, because it isn't. Your ssh should
> not be
> interfering in the rsync data stream. It is essential that, eg.
>
>       backuppc@backuppc-server% ssh -x -l root 192.168.1.2 date
>
> does not output *anything* except the date (adjust the remote
> command to match
> your taste, but 'date' is harmless enough). Just adjust the command
> to omit
> the -v switch and you should be fine.

I tried it, but unfortunately it doesn't work :

first of all I tried the -v option to try to understand why I get
this error :

Running: /ffp/bin/ssh -q -x -l root 192.168.1.2 rsync --server --
sender --numeric-ids --perms --owner --group -D --links --hard-links
--times --block-size=2048 --recursive --ignore-times . /home/racine/
archives/
Xfer PIDs are now 13480
Read EOF: Connection reset by peer
Tried again: got 0 bytes
Done: 0 files, 0 bytes
Got fatal error during xfer (Unable to read 4 bytes)
Backup aborted (Unable to read 4 bytes)

I still have this error (sniff... :-( ).

Second, I tried your ssh+date command, and I realized that I have a
welcome message before login on the ssh server. So I deleted the
message in /etc/issue.net and also comment the "banner /etc/
issue.net" line in /etc/ssh/sshd_config. Now the ssh+date command
*only* output the date.

But still doesn't work, same old story with "Unable to read 4 bytes".
(crying).

So after filling a few kleenex, I tried these commands :

/ffp/bin/ssh -q -x -l root 192.168.1.2 /usr/bin/rsync --version

Answer :
rsync  version 2.6.9  protocol version 29
Copyright (C) 1996-2006 by Andrew Tridgell, Wayne Davison, and others.
<http://rsync.samba.org/>
Capabilities: 64-bit files, .... blablabla
... General Public Licence for details.

Seems to work!

But when I get :
/ffp/bin/ssh -q -x -l root 192.168.1.2 rsync --server --sender --
numeric-ids --perms --owner --group -D --links --hard-links --times --
block-size=2048 --recursive --ignore-times . /home/temp/

Nothing happend and the command just freeze. (crying again).

i tried to dig in /var/log in the host-to-backup-192.168.1.2 to fing
a relevant log file but I found nothing.

Please light my way, it's getting darker....

> As for the -v switch to rsync (probably in $Conf{RsyncArgs}), it
> *is* in the
> example in the default config file (however, the example clearly
> states that
> it should be added *after* the default args), but I can't really
> imagine why
> you would want it, and I'm sceptical that it would work. You seem
> to have
> added switches for debugging before having a problem to debug,
> which are now
> causing a problem ... generating extra output to track down why
> something is
> not working as expected is best done when invoking the commands
> from a command
> line, not within BackupPC operation [or any other software that
> automatically
> runs commands and interprets their output].

Yes I modified by myself the $Conf{RsyncCmd} to try different things.

Cheers!
Bruno