BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] More clarification- archiving straight to tape

2008-07-30 05:57:51
Subject: [BackupPC-users] More clarification- archiving straight to tape
From: Joanne Cook <j.cook AT oxfordarch.co DOT uk>
To: backuppc-users <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 10:55:53 +0100 (BST)
Hi All,

Thanks for the help with understanding how archives work. I'm now trying to
stream them straight to tape, but having a few issues with it. If I set
$Conf{ArchiveComp} = 'gzip' then streaming straight to tape ($Conf{ArchiveDest}
= '/dev/nst0') fails with the following error:

Executing: /usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC_archiveHost
/usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC_tarCreate /usr/bin/split  serverlanc1 6
/bin/gzip .gz 0 /dev/nst0 5 *
Xfer PIDs are now 8987
Writing tar archive for host serverlanc1, backup #6 to /dev/nst0
Done: 1093 files, 556537859 bytes, 29 dirs, 0 specials, 0 errors

gzip: stdout: Invalid argument
Executing: /bin/sh -c -cf /usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC_tarCreate -t -h
serverlanc1 -n 6 -s \* . | /bin/gzip >> /dev/nst0
Error: /usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC_tarCreate, compress or split failed
Archive failed: Error: /usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC_tarCreate, compress or
split failed

If I set $Conf{ArchiveComp} = 'none' then the job seems to succeed, but when I
try and see what's on the tape using "tar tvf /dev/nst0" I get the following
error:

tar: This does not look like a tar archive

So- can I either fix it so that I can create gz files on the tape, or is the
second option actually giving me valid files, in which case how do I read them?

Many thanks

Jo

Joanne Cook
Senior IT Support and Development
Oxford Archaeology (North)
01524 880212
http://thehumanjourney.net

------
Files attached to this email may be in ISO 26300 format (OASIS Open Document
Format). If you have difficulty opening them, please visit http://iso26300.info
for more information.