BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Fatal error (bad version): OpenSSH_5.0p1

2008-07-29 10:55:49
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Fatal error (bad version): OpenSSH_5.0p1
From: Rob Owens <rob.owens AT biochemfluidics DOT com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 10:55:39 -0400
There was a Debian/Ubuntu bug in ssh a few months back.  Update your ssh
server and client software and then try again to see if you get the same
error.  Note that the update will recreate your server keys, and you'll
need to create new public/private keypairs for your users (backuppc
user, in particular).

-Rob

brunal wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm using backuppc on a Dlink DNS-323 with fun_plug.
>
> Everything is fine but when I try to launch a (full and first) backup
> I get this error :
> [Code]
> full backup started for directory /home/racine/archives
> Running: /ffp/bin/ssh -v -x -l root 192.168.1.2 /ffp/bin/rsync -v --
> server --sender --numeric-ids --perms --owner --group -D --links --
> hard-links --times --block-size=2048 --recursive --ignore-times . /
> home/racine/archives/
> Xfer PIDs are now 624
> Got remote protocol 1852141647
> Fatal error (bad version): OpenSSH_5.0p1
> Sent exclude: /home/racine/rd/audio/banque2sons
> Sent exclude: /home/racine/rd/audio/loops
> Read EOF:
> Tried again: got 0 bytes
> fileListReceive() failed
> Done: 0 files, 0 bytes
> Got fatal error during xfer (fileListReceive failed)
> Backup aborted (fileListReceive failed)
> [/Code]
>
> So on linux machine I want to backup (192.168.1.2), it's a Ubuntu
> 7.04, and the openssh package install is 4.3p2-8ubuntu1.4 . I've just
> upgrade the server packages. It seems that ubuntu 8.04 got openssh
> package 5.0p1, but I don't want to dist-upgrade now, because I want
> to backup the server before upgrading (vicious cycle isn't it?)
>
> On the backup server where backuppc is running, the openssh package
> is OpenSSH_5.0p1 .
>
> Does anyone have an idea, how I can solve this problem? The error is
> bad version : but does it means OpenSSH_5.0p1 is the bad version or
> is it 4.3p2-8 the bad version?
>
> What is strange is that I can ssh without problem nor error from the
> backup server to the server to backup (192.168.1.2).
> I also can run a command like
> [Code]
> rsync -t 192.168.1.2:~/truc.txt ./tmp/
> [/Code]
> wihtout any problem, which use ssh and a public key.
>
> ???

incomplete, or contain viruses.
version.