BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Fatal error (bad version): OpenSSH_5.0p1

2008-07-29 17:40:47
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Fatal error (bad version): OpenSSH_5.0p1
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: brunal <brunal2496 AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 23:39:54 +0200
Hi,

Rob Owens wrote on 2008-07-29 10:55:39 -0400 [Re: [BackupPC-users] Fatal error
(bad version): OpenSSH_5.0p1]:
> There was a Debian/Ubuntu bug in ssh a few months back.

that is unrelated in this case.

> Before that, brunal had written:
> >
> > Everything is fine but when I try to launch a (full and first) backup
> > I get this error :
> > [Code]
> > full backup started for directory /home/racine/archives
> > Running: /ffp/bin/ssh -v -x -l root 192.168.1.2 /ffp/bin/rsync -v --

ssh -v? You don't want the -v.

> > server --sender --numeric-ids --perms --owner --group -D --links --
> > hard-links --times --block-size=2048 --recursive --ignore-times . /
> > home/racine/archives/
> > Xfer PIDs are now 624
> > Got remote protocol 1852141647
> > Fatal error (bad version): OpenSSH_5.0p1

That means File::RsyncP does not accept "OpenSSH_5.0p1" as version number of
the remote rsync. That's fine, because it isn't. Your ssh should not be
interfering in the rsync data stream. It is essential that, eg.

        backuppc@backuppc-server% ssh -x -l root 192.168.1.2 date

does not output *anything* except the date (adjust the remote command to match
your taste, but 'date' is harmless enough). Just adjust the command to omit
the -v switch and you should be fine.

As for the -v switch to rsync (probably in $Conf{RsyncArgs}), it *is* in the
example in the default config file (however, the example clearly states that
it should be added *after* the default args), but I can't really imagine why
you would want it, and I'm sceptical that it would work. You seem to have
added switches for debugging before having a problem to debug, which are now
causing a problem ... generating extra output to track down why something is
not working as expected is best done when invoking the commands from a command
line, not within BackupPC operation [or any other software that automatically
runs commands and interprets their output].

Regards,
Holger