BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] backuppc

2008-07-22 16:51:45
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] backuppc
From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome AT real-time DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 15:51:39 -0500
On 07/22 09:44 , Kurt Tunkko wrote:
> Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:
>
> > I've done bare metal restores as well; and provided that I was backing up
> > the whole OS to backuppc, the general sequence is:
> > 1) boot with Knoppix or some other rescue distro (there was [is?] some bug
> > in backuppc that causes issues with restoring symlinks over tar for some
> > reason)
> > 2) partition disks and create filesystems
> > 3) on the server side, use BackupPC_tarCreate piped to netcat to send the
> > data
> > 4) on the new machine, use netcat piped to tar to unpack the data stream
> > onto the disks
> > 5) rewrite your bootloader
> > 6) reboot
>
> Will this procedure also work, when restoring a windows client-pc, if I
> booted using Knoopix-Live-CD on the client?

problem with windows is twofold:
- backing up the registry
- writing the bootloader
tools to do these things do exist; but I can't claim to know anything about
them or how to do it.

> Can you give some details about how you're using netcat to send the data
> to the other machine - wouldn't this also be possible using SSH?

on the backuppc side it would be something like:
/usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC_tarCreate -h host.domain.tld -n -1 -s / /
|gzip -1|nc host.domain.tld 8888

and on the client:
nc -l -p 8888 | tar xzv

or alternatively:
nc -l -p 8888 | tar xzvC /path/to/new/filesystem
(if you're not in the directory which should recieve the restore)

It may not be worthwhile to compress the data over a fast local link.
Probably not, in fact.

If you wanted to do it with SSH it would be something like this on the
client side:

ssh backuppc AT backuppc.domain DOT tld
'/usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC_tarCreate -h host.domain.tld -n -1 -s / / '|
tar xvC /path/to/new/filesystem

Let me know if you need an explanation of how these work.

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator