BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] backuppc

2008-07-22 23:20:53
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] backuppc
From: Les Mikesell <les AT futuresource DOT com>
To: Kurt Tunkko <kurt.tunko AT web DOT de>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 22:20:43 -0500
Kurt Tunkko wrote:
> Paul Mantz wrote:
>
>> A cursory glance at ntfsclone's man page (available at
>> http://man.linux-ntfs.org/ntfsclone.8.html) states that ntfsclone deals
>> exclusively with the filesystem, and not with the bootloader at all.  If
>> you were trying this on a brand new drive in the case of a hard drive
>> failure, you'd be dead in the water til you wrote to the bootloader.
>
> yes you're right, I forgott to mention, that I make a backup of the MBR
> as well using:
>
>     dd if=/dev/XXX of=mbr.backup bs=512 count=1
>
> Thanks for mentioning.
>
>> A working strategy would be to do a fresh install (from a prepared
>> image, preferably) and restore the files via tarball (or the Knoppix
>> liveCD if you don't have GNU util capabilites on the machine).

Clonezilla-live will do all of this for you: http://www.clonezilla.org/.
   It saves the mbr/partition table and the used portions of filesystems
using partimag or ntfsclone, and will reconstruct the image back to a
drive. If you save an image once in a while you should be able to
quickly get back to a point where you can restore newer data directly
from backuppc.