BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] backuppc

2008-07-22 12:54:37
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] backuppc
From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome AT real-time DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 11:54:13 -0500
On 07/22 12:04 , Ray Todd Stevens wrote:
> I think that depends upon the OS.   I have had to do a couple of bare metal
> restores and backupPC was a big part of it.

I've done bare metal restores as well; and provided that I was backing up
the whole OS to backuppc, the general sequence is:

-- boot with Knoppix or some other rescue distro (there was [is?] some bug
in backuppc that causes issues with restoring symlinks over tar for some
reason)
-- partition disks and create filesystems
-- on the server side, use BackupPC_tarCreate piped to netcat to send the
data
-- on the new machine, use netcat piped to tar to unpack the data stream
onto the disks
-- rewrite your bootloader
-- reboot

takes about 20 minutes, depending on the amount of data to be restored, and
if nothing goes terribly wrong.

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator