BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] backuppc

2008-07-22 13:46:39
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] backuppc
From: Kurt Tunkko <kurt.tunko AT web DOT de>
To: BackupPC User List <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 19:46:25 +0200
Hi,

Ray Todd Stevens wrote:
 > [...]  I have had to do a couple of bare metal
> restores and backupPC was a big part of it.
> Step 1: have good documentation of the system configuration during
> original install.
> Step 2: install the OS according to documentation
> Step 3: get the client running on the client.  This is ususally pretty
> streight
> forward.
> Step 4: tell backup pc to basically restore everything
> Step 5: reboot and you should be up just as the old system was.

That's what I would do also, with one modification: not starting at step
1 but on step 3. Because I have full images (ntfsclone or dd) of the
client I just write back the image, so that I don't have to configure
everything for backuppc-restore on the client-pc (cygwin/rsyncd/exchange
ssh-keys...)

A bare metal recovery of a windows client for testing is on my todo-list.

Question:
have you done a bare metal recovery of a windows client?

Without any background I would think that restoring a linux-based
machine might work better but unfortunately I'm working in a
windows-only-environment (except my file & backup-server :-)

- Kurt