BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Howto backup BackupPC running on a RAID1 with mdadm for offline-storage

2008-07-25 14:03:19
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Howto backup BackupPC running on a RAID1 with mdadm for offline-storage
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: dan <dandenson AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 13:03:10 -0500
dan wrote:
> i have tested the send and receive functionality of zfs on openbsd.  the
> problem is that it sends the entire fileset, block by block.  this is
> not going to work for remote replication within a reasonable timeframe.

You have to do that once, but I thought you could do one snapshot, send
it for the initial snapshot copy, then subsequently do other snapshots
and incremental sends to be received into the remote snapshot copy.  The
question is, how efficient are those incremental sends when backuppc has
   made a run that didn't add a lot of new data but made lots of new
hardlinks?

> rsync is about the only option.  i know it does not scale well with file
> count but it still does the best job of syncing up filesystems remotely.
>
> the best solution here is to get with the rsync team and see what can be
> done about the memory usage.   maybe an option to write the file list to
> a temp file or maybe compress the file list in memory.
>
> I do remote rsyncs for a large fileset with millions of files.  It does
> work, reliably even, though i have 4GB of ram available on both computers.

I haven't seen this work even locally with several hundred gigs in the
archive filesystem.

> I have done massive amounts of testing and trial and error and have
> found that this is the best setup for my needs, and purhaps many
> people's needs

Did you measure the size of the zfs incremental send when done from a
snapshot where a previous snapshot had already been sent?  So far I
haven't been able to boot any opensolaris based system on the boxes
where I'd like to test.  I might eventually try it with freebsd.

Maybe a zfs snapshot copied to a local external drive or sent to an
external drive on another machine on the LAN, then carried offsite would
work if the incremental send is not efficient.