BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Howto backup BackupPC running on a RAID1 with mdadm for offline-storage

2008-07-25 17:04:42
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Howto backup BackupPC running on a RAID1 with mdadm for offline-storage
From: dan <dandenson AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Les Mikesell" <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 15:04:27 -0600
the problem with zfs snapshots is that you will have to be very careful about organizing the data.  you are taking a snapshot of a live filesystem but what does it depend on? and when you send it to the other machine is that dependancy met?  what if you miss sending a snapshot?

The problem here is automating the process.  I have toyed with the idea of doing a script that would do an md5 and timestamp on each file, write that to a log and then do the same on the remote system.  then compare the two systems and use rsync on each item.  It is something like rsync already does but uses a file on the local filesystem to write the transfer list and spawn a seperate process for each file to be transfered and do this sequentially. you could also mix in a little in-line bzip2 or 7z compression to improve speed on slow links and even allow a certain number of processes to run in paralell to utilize multiple cpus

I am currently syncing over 240GB with rsync without issues.  the sync takes about 1-1.5 hours with most of that time being spent making the file list.  this does work well, you just have to be patient and avoid the temptation to kill rsync because you think it is dead.