BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] aborted by signal=PIPE errors.

2008-07-14 19:18:27
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] aborted by signal=PIPE errors.
From: Peter Nankivell <nanks AT bigpond.net DOT au>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 09:17:48 +1000
Bruno,

I have been chasing this problem also, but I have additional
problems.  One is that the backup occasionally hangs without
any error message, the other, more frequently, is that the backup
fails with an additional message "corrupted MAC on input".
The "MAC" is not the address of the NIC, but
"Message Authentication Code", part of the ssh protocol.

It appears that most people believe that this is due to ssh's
reaction to a hardware error.  People have reported faults
with memory, cables, NIC's, wireless and routers.  This is
consistent with the fact that the only machine having the problem
on my home network is the one using a wireless NIC.

The solution seems to be to fix the hardware, which as yet
I have been unable to to, or to reduce the strain that
"rsync" puts on the system.  I have done this by adding the "rsync"
options "--whole-file" and "--bwlimit=500".  This more than doubles
the time for the backup, but it has worked so far.
The first option causes "rsync" to transmitt the whole file rather
than only the bits that are changed, the other limits the
bandwidth to 500k.

If it is all due to ssh and hardware it makes me worry about
the resilience of ssh.  Surely its protocol should be able to
retry on corrupted data?  I don't know...

Another solution maybe to use "rsyncd".  This should avoid
using ssh as the transport.  I haven't tried this yet.

Hope this helps, Peter.