BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] aborted by signal=PIPE errors.

2008-07-14 19:04:18
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] aborted by signal=PIPE errors.
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Bruno Faria <brunothebigb AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 01:03:31 +0200
Hi,

Bruno Faria wrote on 2008-07-14 13:11:45 -0500 [[BackupPC-users] aborted by
signal=PIPE errors.]:
> [...]
> I searched google about this error message, and it seems like many backuppc
> users have encountered this before, although I could not find any solutions.
> [...]
> Please let me know if anyway knows of a solution to backups "aborted by
> signal=PIPE".

the reason you won't get or find many answers is that the message means as
much as "something went wrong". The process on the other end of the pipe
unexpectedly closed it. We'll need to know more about why that happened to
be able to tell you more about how to avoid it.

Bruno Faria wrote on 2008-07-14 15:15:58 -0500 [Re: [BackupPC-users] aborted by
signal=PIPE errors.]:
> Thanks Tony, with that command I was able to check the end of XferLog file.
>
> Here's what the log file says:
>
> Can't write 32780 bytes to socket
> Read EOF: Connection reset by peer

This is the interesting line, which narrows it down to a network problem.
Traditionally, "connection reset by peer" means that the machine on the other
end of the TCP connection doesn't know about the TCP connection - probably
because it rebooted since the connection was established. Nowadays this can be
induced by a firewall or NAT device which has timed out the connection (or
forgotten it due to a reboot). This type of timeout *might* in turn be caused
by rsync choking on a file or simply taking too long for local processing
without generating network traffic. Or something completely different. You
*might* be able to work around it by excluding parts of your backup or
splitting it up. But you should be looking for the real cause. What does the
network between the BackupPC server and the client computer look like?
Firewalls? ADSL links with dynamic IPs?

For anyone else finding this thread via Google, this may or may not be
relevant to your case of "signal=PIPE". Look into the XferLog file for more
information on what went wrong. Include a description of your setup when
posting to the list, not just a "I've got the signal=PIPE error everyone else
seems to be having too" ;-).

I haven't had a look at the Wiki in ages. Is there something on signal=PIPE
in there?

Regards,
Holger