BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] very slow compression of big file

2008-07-03 15:36:35
Subject: [BackupPC-users] very slow compression of big file
From: Tony Schreiner <schreian AT bc DOT edu>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 15:36:29 -0400
I've written before about backups involving very big files that seem
to execute slowly.

I am watching one right now.

The source file is 57G in size. Based on the output of lsof, it
appears that at the moment    the RStmp file is being compressed into
its backup location (and by experience will be about 33G in size).
Compression level is 3.

This has been going on for over 8 hours now, but the computer seems
to be doing very little.  BackupPC_dump is averaging less than 1%,
nothing else is running, and the iowait value is near 0 as well.
iostat shows about 100 blocks/sec written to the storage device on
the average. There is no swapping going on.

What can be slowing things down so much? Except for this operation,
everything else runs about as I would expect.

What bugs me a bit in addition is that it was doing the same
operation on the same file last night for many hours, gave up,
finished the rest of the backup and now is trying again.

Tony Schreiner
Boston College