BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] very slow compression of big file

2008-07-04 19:09:00
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] very slow compression of big file
From: dan <dandenson AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Tony Schreiner" <schreian AT bc DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2008 17:08:55 -0600
more situations for the -W flag
1)if either your client or server have a slow CPU.  You should time a full backup with and without the -W.  Many times I find that the -W improves backup times even over remote connections if you have a slow CPU in the mix.  I backup an older Alphaserver 1Ghz box and rsync pegs the CPU when doing incremental work, the -W takes my backups from 1.5 hours to 20 minutes(100MB ethernet, 4GB per day)
2)whenever you are on a LAN, use the -W.  Assuming your backups are at night, you will not miss the bandwidth used up but should see a big improvement.  keep in mind that rsync still will only copy files that have a size and timestamp change.
3)when you have a million files or so that are small on a LAN.  Time the backup, see if the CPU time is worth the wait.  I have a host that has well over 2 Million small files.  rsync typically transfers these files at <200KB/s on 100MB ethernet while it will do 3-4MB/s with the -W option.  the reason is that the rsync algorythm us a lot of IO transactions while the -W is more sequential reads, lowering IO and drastically improving performance.

sometimes the advantages of rsync are unneccessary and are a hindrance.  Most of the time we need just a simple check for timestamp, size, and ctime.

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 4:13 PM, Tony Schreiner <schreian AT bc DOT edu> wrote:
Evren Yurtesen wrote:
> Renke Brausse wrote:
>> Hello Tony,
>>
>>> I've written before about backups involving very big files that
>>> seem  to execute slowly.
>>>

>>> What can be slowing things down so much? Except for this operation,
>>> everything else runs about as I would expect.
>>
>> I have no clue what the reason is but I experienced that backups of
>> large files are much faster with tar over ssh instead of rsync over ssh.
>>
>> Not an explanation but maybe this can solve your problem.
>>

> I believe the reason for this is how rsync works. It normally tries to
> transfer only the changed parts of the file. This is to save
> bandwidth, to do this, it has to scan the whole file on both sides(I
> guess). This is unnecessary unless you are over slow links. You might
> want to try the whole-file option with rsync:
>
>         -W, --whole-file            copy files whole (w/o delta-xfer
> algorithm)
>
> Please let us know the results, as a side-note if you still want to
> shrink the transferred file size you can use the ssh compression with
> -C option of ssh.
>
> Thanks,
> Evren
Thank you, I will try that. Might be a few days before I have anything
to report.
Tony