BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Windows 2003 via smb copy only directories

2008-07-03 13:49:50
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Windows 2003 via smb copy only directories
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: Neimar Volpini <neimar AT estobel.com DOT br>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2008 12:49:43 -0500
Neimar Volpini wrote:
> Hum, good point, the timestamps didn't came in mind ... but I don't
> think this is the problem because there were old files in the directory
> and none of them were copied. Let me understand something ...
>
> I run a full backup of two directories in a share. After, I change the
> config adding a third directory and then run an incremental backup. This
> new directory I just added as it doesn't have any previous backups it
> will be copied without any timestamps test, right?

No, smb and tar incremental runs always determine what to copy based on
a timestamp calculated as slightly before the last full run started.  If
bandwidth is not an issue, just do a full run after any major changes.
This will copy everything over, but existing files will be immediately
discarded and replaced with links on the server.  If you are concerned
about bandwidth, look at the rsyncd method which will be able to compare
the actual contents and transfer differences regardless of the timestamps.