BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] very slow compression of big file

2008-07-03 16:07:10
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] very slow compression of big file
From: Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen AT ispro DOT net>
To: Renke Brausse <rbrausse AT gmx DOT net>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2008 23:07:45 +0300
Renke Brausse wrote:
> Hello Tony,
>
>> I've written before about backups involving very big files that seem
>> to execute slowly.
>>

>> What can be slowing things down so much? Except for this operation,
>> everything else runs about as I would expect.
>
> I have no clue what the reason is but I experienced that backups of
> large files are much faster with tar over ssh instead of rsync over ssh.
>
> Not an explanation but maybe this can solve your problem.

I believe the reason for this is how rsync works. It normally tries to transfer
only the changed parts of the file. This is to save bandwidth, to do this, it
has to scan the whole file on both sides(I guess). This is unnecessary unless
you are over slow links. You might want to try the whole-file option with rsync:

         -W, --whole-file            copy files whole (w/o delta-xfer algorithm)

Please let us know the results, as a side-note if you still want to shrink the
transferred file size you can use the ssh compression with -C option of ssh.

Thanks,
Evren