Amanda-Users

Re: failures in 2.6.0 ("cannot read header ...")

2008-04-10 10:55:55
Subject: Re: failures in 2.6.0 ("cannot read header ...")
From: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
To: "Charles Stroom" <charles AT stremen.xs4all DOT nl>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 10:18:10 -0400
On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 10:38 AM, Charles Stroom
<charles AT stremen.xs4all DOT nl> wrote:
>  FAILURE DUMP SUMMARY:
>    fiume.localnet /home/charles/pictures lev 1  FAILED [cannot read
>  header: got 0 bytes instead of 32768]
>  fiume.localnet /home/charles/pictures lev 1  FAILED [too many dumper
>  retry: "[request failed: Resource temporarily unavailable]"]
>  fiume.localnet /home/charles/pictures lev 1  FAILED [cannot read
>  header: got 0 bytes instead of 32768]

My apologies -- now that the 2.6.0 release has been out, I've all been
excitedly hacking on new work for 2.6.1.  A side-effect is that I've
just been "skimming" amanda-users, and I missed this email.

There could be a number of problems underlying this, unfortunately.
Basically, the header didn't arrive on the server, but there's no
indication of what caused that.  The next step is to look around in
the debug logs on both the server and the client for anything unusual
about those runs (unusual = different from the runs that succeeded).
On the server, have a look at dumper.*.  On the client, have a look at
amandad.* and sendbackup*.

"Resource temporarily unavailable" corresponds to EAGAIN, and is
usually seen with non-blocking IO, which Amanda doesn't use, so I'm
not sure what to make of that information.  The dumper debug log may
clarify that.

Dustin

--
Storage Software Engineer