Amanda-Users

Re: failures in 2.6.0 ("cannot read header ...")

2008-04-14 19:36:45
Subject: Re: failures in 2.6.0 ("cannot read header ...")
From: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
To: charles AT stremen.xs4all DOT nl
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 19:30:27 -0400
On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 4:51 PM, Charles Stroom
<charles AT stremen.xs4all DOT nl> wrote:
>  Dustin, thanks for the analysis and is seems to make sense because
>  indeed in the /etc/services only 703 and 708 are unassigned in between
>  700-710.  However, my amanda is installed from rpm from the download
>  area of amanda (opensuse 10), and I really hesitate to do a compile
>  from source.  In amanda.conf maxdumps was set to 3; I have set it now
>  to 2, would that not solve the problem because 2 ports are available?

Should work.  You could also probably safely delete some services
you're not using.

>  I have little knowledge about the meaning of all this and above the
>  line with CSt, it is generated (I think).  Is it not simply that
>  localhost (== fiume, == fiume.localnet) can be addressed as 127.0.0.1
>  or 127.0.0.2?

I think that's pretty definitely broken, although I don't think it
caused this particular problem.  Do you have an interface configured
at 127.0.0.2?  I doubt it.  If not, comment out the 127.0.0.2 line and
you will probably find many broken things no longer broken :)

Dustin

--
Storage Software Engineer
http://www.zmanda.com