Amanda-Users

Re: Encrypted backups on FreeBSD ?

2008-04-04 15:49:11
Subject: Re: Encrypted backups on FreeBSD ?
From: Oscar Ricardo Silva <osilva AT scuff.cc.utexas DOT edu>
To: amanda-users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2008 14:42:17 -0500
With all the problems I've had doing client side encryption on FreeBSD I wanted to make sure amanda worked without any "fancy" options. I tried two variations on backups:

1.  No compression, no encryption, ssh authentication
2.  No compression, SERVER-side encryption, ssh authentication

I'm happy to report that both worked and I was able to restore files successfully. It's not the end of the story. I have enough paranoid higher-ups that they just can't sleep if encryption isn't done by the client. I understand ... I might go crazy one day and have nothing better to to do than restore files for servers that I already have administrative access to ...

The saga continues but it'll have to wait until I get back on Monday.

Oscar