Amanda-Users

Encrypted backups on FreeBSD ?

2008-04-02 17:58:49
Subject: Encrypted backups on FreeBSD ?
From: Nomad <atxnomad AT gmail DOT com>
To: amanda-users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 16:54:37 -0500
I'm having some strange issues as well, trying to do encrypted backups on FreeBSD.  Let me ask this:

1.  Is encrypted storage of backups a production feature?
2.  What documentation is available giving technical details on encrypted backups using amanda?
       What would really help is a flowchart of the path taken to encrypt and send backups

I know there's a page on the zamanda wiki that talks about encryption but from reading through it there's a question whether it's a proof-of-concept or something for actual use.  So far I can use ssh authentication for encrypting the transmission of backups but what I really want is to do client side encryption.  There's a brief, VERY brief, piece of information on amcrypt but there's not enough information to properly configure encryption.

Someone mentioned an issue with amaespipe, head and bash ... could be that's the problem.  Attempting to run /usr/local/bin/amgtar by hand I get the error:

head: -: No such file or directory