Amanda-Users

Re: Encrypted backups on FreeBSD ?

2008-04-04 10:51:23
Subject: Re: Encrypted backups on FreeBSD ?
From: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
To: "Matthew Moffitt" <moffitt.10 AT sociology.osu DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 10:44:51 -0400
On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 10:31 AM, Matthew Moffitt
<moffitt.10 AT sociology.osu DOT edu> wrote:
>  I think an alternate informational message would help, or at least better
> documentation on the requirement for using encryption.  I wonder what the
> client requirement check is for, perhaps it's a vestige of a previous
> encryption framework?

The quick answer is that amrecover has to "pass through" encryption
information from amindexd and back to amidxtaped.  So even though it's
not doing the decryption, it needs to know about it.

I can change the message, if you'll update the documentation :)

Dustin

--
Storage Software Engineer
http://www.zmanda.com