Amanda-Users

Re: Backup over two tapes?

2007-07-30 05:12:33
Subject: Re: Backup over two tapes?
From: Gerhard Brauer <gerhard.brauer AT web DOT de>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 09:01:34 +0000 (UTC)
Hello!
* Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com> schrieb am [30.07.07 00:12]:
> On Sun, Jul 29, 2007 at 09:04:52PM +0000, Gerhard Brauer wrote:
> > * Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com> schrieb am [29.07.07 22:31]:
> > >
> > > Is your hardware a tape drive or a tape drive and changer
> > > mechanism.  I'm getting mixed information from your
> > > description.
> >
> > Sorry for confusing you. No , i have a simple
> > HP       Model: C5683A
> > Streamer, no changer.
> > I mean I've read somewhere that i should use changer mechanism on my
> > Streamer to get the spanning functionality. But this was surely a
> > misunderstanding of mine...
> >

> No, my message was unclear.  A single drive with chg-manual should
> be ok.  But, do you have chg-manual working?  Just because you
> specify it as your tape changer doesn't say that.  Have you tested
> it as I suggested with amtape?  Can you get it to notify you when
> a tape needs changing?  Can you use the several amtape command
> arguments to manipulate the tape and the manual changer?

Ok, i've acivated the "changer" with:
tpchanger "chg-manual"

I could use all the important amtape commands.
Only confusing is the ever changing value for the slot it would/should  use.
In the chg-manual-Script the slots are defined from 1 to 99.
Maybe i should change this to 1 to 1 (Only one streamer, only one slot)?
At the moment i leave it as it is.

|-------------------
[amanda@s02 ~]$ amcheck MusikSet
Amanda Tape Server Host Check
-----------------------------
Holding disk /backup/amanda: 22834176 KB disk space available, using
22731776 KB
slot 1: read label `MusikSet-01', date `20070729223038'
Insert tape into slot 2 and press return
slot 2: read label `MusikSet-02', date `X'
NOTE: skipping tape-writable test
Tape MusikSet-02 label ok
NOTE: host info dir
/usr/local/etc/amanda/MusikSet/curinfo/s02.brauer.lan does not exist
NOTE: it will be created on the next run.
NOTE: index dir /usr/local/etc/amanda/MusikSet/index/s02.brauer.lan does
not exist
NOTE: it will be created on the next run.
Server check took 94.923 seconds

Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
--------------------------------
Client check: 1 host checked in 0.023 seconds, 0 problems found
|--------------------

Then i do some commands after amcheck, don't know anymore exactly why.
|---------------
[amanda@s02 ~]$ amtape MusikSet eject
amtape: slot 2 is ejected.
[amanda@s02 ~]$ amtape MusikSet slot 1

[amanda@s02 ~]$ amtape MusikSet label MusikSet-01
amtape: scanning for tape with label MusikSet-01
amtape: slot 2: date 20070729223038 label MusikSet-01 (exact label
match)
amtape: label MusikSet-01 is now loaded.
[amanda@s02 ~]$ amtape MusikSet slot 1
Insert tape into slot 1 and press return
amtape: changed to slot 1 on /dev/nst0
|---------------

Then i start amdump. Again it claimed for both tapes, but on different
slots...
|------------
[amanda@s02 ~]$ amdump MusikSet
Insert tape into slot 2 and press return
Insert tape into slot 3 and press return
|------------
Here the backup is starting (filling holding disk, wrote on the inserted
tape. This tape is by a fault of mine MusikSet-02, but this should not
matter...?

Then the first tape is full, it gets ejected and amdump says:
|----------
Insert tape into slot 4 and press return
|----------
Another slot? Ok, i put MusikSet-01 in streamer.
|---------
Insert tape into slot 5 and press return
Insert tape into slot 6 and press returnInsert tape into slot 6 and
press returnInsert tape into slot 6 and press return
|---------
And so one... It never use the next tape.
tapelist:
20070730080114 MusikSet-02 reuse
0 MusikSet-01 reuse

The logfile says nothing, only that on first tape is no more free space.

What's my mistake? Must i chnage the chg-manaul script. Something other?

That could not be the new feature since 2.5 that spanning one dump over
several tapes would be easier?

> jl

Gruß
        Gerhard

--
Kernel panic: Could not determine whether
bit was one, zero or sqrt(1/PI)...