Amanda-Users

Backup over two tapes?

2007-07-29 15:05:58
Subject: Backup over two tapes?
From: Gerhard Brauer <gerhard.brauer AT web DOT de>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 18:50:20 +0000 (UTC)
Hello,

this is my first post, i try amanda since a few days. And sorry for my
sometimes bad english, i'am not a native speaker.

I don't understand the new concept when a backup must go over two or
more tapes cause one tape is to small ;-)
I've read Doku, searched, and read across the ML mailing list archiv but
it doesn't work for me ;-)

I want to backup for ex. a dir with 6.5 Gb on tapes (DDS-120 4/8Gb).

This is my tapetype in amanda.conf:
---------
define tapetype HP-DDS2 {
    comment "HP Drive; Imation DDS-120 tapes (hardware compression off)"
    length 3807 mbytes
    filemark 0 kbytes
    speed 503 kps
}

Other important values from amanda.conf:
-----------
tapedev "/dev/nst0"
runtapes 2
tape_splitsize 400Mb (in my dumptype)
My holding disk section has: chunksize 1Gb (but AFAIK this doesn't
matter)

I start the dump and after the first tape is full i get a mail from
manada:
-------
These dumps were to tape MusikSet-01.
*** A TAPE ERROR OCCURRED: [No more writable valid tape found].
Some dumps may have been left in the holding disk.
Run amflush to flush them to tape.
The next 2 tapes Amanda expects to use are: 2 new tapes.
The next 2 new tapes already labelled are: MusikSet-03, MusikSet-02.
-------------
If i run amflush this procedure start again, seems she try writing the
full dump again an next free tape.

I've tested other splitsite values, tried using my single tape as a
changer (tpchanger "chg-manual") but then asking always for new tapes in
different slots...I've break this on slot 5 ;-)

All i want is this files spanning over two tapes where amanda is asking
me for the next tape when first is full. Like gnu-tar --multi.

Could one give me an example what exactly i must write in Configs for
this goal? Maybe i understand this when i make the config for my full
backup, which must also spawn over two tapes.

Thank you!

Bye
        Gerhard

--