Amanda-Users

Re: Backup over two tapes?

2007-07-29 16:43:24
Subject: Re: Backup over two tapes?
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 16:31:38 -0400
On Sun, Jul 29, 2007 at 06:50:20PM +0000, Gerhard Brauer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> this is my first post, i try amanda since a few days. And sorry for my
> sometimes bad english, i'am not a native speaker.
>
> I don't understand the new concept when a backup must go over two or
> more tapes cause one tape is to small ;-)
> I've read Doku, searched, and read across the ML mailing list archiv but
> it doesn't work for me ;-)
>
> I want to backup for ex. a dir with 6.5 Gb on tapes (DDS-120 4/8Gb).
>
> This is my tapetype in amanda.conf:
> ---------
> define tapetype HP-DDS2 {
>     comment "HP Drive; Imation DDS-120 tapes (hardware compression off)"
>     length 3807 mbytes
>     filemark 0 kbytes
>     speed 503 kps
> }
>
> Other important values from amanda.conf:
> -----------
> tapedev "/dev/nst0"
> runtapes 2
> tape_splitsize 400Mb (in my dumptype)
> My holding disk section has: chunksize 1Gb (but AFAIK this doesn't
> matter)
>
> I start the dump and after the first tape is full i get a mail from
> manada:
> -------
> These dumps were to tape MusikSet-01.
> *** A TAPE ERROR OCCURRED: [No more writable valid tape found].
> Some dumps may have been left in the holding disk.
> Run amflush to flush them to tape.
> The next 2 tapes Amanda expects to use are: 2 new tapes.
> The next 2 new tapes already labelled are: MusikSet-03, MusikSet-02.
> -------------
> If i run amflush this procedure start again, seems she try writing the
> full dump again an next free tape.
>
> I've tested other splitsite values, tried using my single tape as a
> changer (tpchanger "chg-manual") but then asking always for new tapes in
> different slots...I've break this on slot 5 ;-)

Is your hardware a tape drive or a tape drive and changer
mechanism.  I'm getting mixed information from your
description.  You are using tpchanger "chg-manual" which
should only be used with non-changer tape drives yet you
talk about "slot 5" as if it is an actual changer and
should use a tpchanger script other than chg-manual
(ex. chg-zd-mtx, chg-mtx, chg-scsi, ...).

You don't mention your version of amanda software.
Tape spanning was introduced with release 2.5.
Earlier releases would not support the feature.

Get your changer script functional, either chg-manual
or other scripts as appropriate.  Tape spanning requires
it.  Check out your ability to manipulate your "changer"
with the amanda command amtape.

> Could one give me an example what exactly i must write in Configs for
> this goal?

Probably not ;)

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)