Amanda-Users

Re: Best filesystem type for larg (500G) dumpdisk

2006-03-26 07:27:31
Subject: Re: Best filesystem type for larg (500G) dumpdisk
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Matthias Andree <matthias.andree AT gmx DOT de>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 07:22:40 -0500 (EST)
On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 at 12:27am, Matthias Andree wrote

Michael Loftis <mloftis AT wgops DOT com> writes:

Reiser will take a while to mount such a large filesystem....As may XFS.
I haven't treied anything that big recently with ext3 but you can try
it...though I'm kind of interested now so I might see myself.

Well, just one data point ext3fs works for me on a 270 GB RAID5 (decent
hardware) fileserver.

I recently migrated 2 2TB partitions from XFS to ext3, and have another 5.5TB partition as ext3. I'd prefer XFS, to be honest, but a certain Linux vendor who's homebase happens to be in my neighborhood doesn't agree with my preferences.

Reiser, to be frank, scares me. I've heard too many horror stories about changing on-disk formats and the like. Both ext3 and XFS have very solid, stable on-disk formats.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering