Amanda-Users

Re: Best filesystem type for larg (500G) dumpdisk

2006-03-25 14:26:12
Subject: Re: Best filesystem type for larg (500G) dumpdisk
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 14:23:16 -0500
On Saturday 25 March 2006 12:43, stan wrote:
>On Sat, Mar 25, 2006 at 11:40:44AM -0500, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
>> On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 at 11:30am, stan wrote
>>
>> >Sorry (hides face in shame). I'm using Ubuntu Breezy. I plan on
>> > building my own 2.6.16 kerenel. So my choices are li,ited to
>> > what's avaialble on Linux.
>>
>> My 2 choices would be either XFS or ext3.  XFS tends to do very well
>> with large files.
>
>For booth applications I take it?
>
>How do you feel about reiserfs for either application?

Too many horror stories about it for my trust.  Ext3 for nearly
everything here.  In the 3 years since I gave up on reiserfs, e2fsck
has done nothing but waste time when rebooting.  However, I now note
that one partition on my firewall box is still reiserfs.  Its an old,
10GB /mnt/dlds dir, 3.5GB used that TBT, hasn't been touched since
2002.  Looks as if its ok yet.  But it may go a year+ between reboots.
I usually try to do a clean shutdown sometime in the summer where I can
roll it out on a 2 wheeler (big, almost ugly tower case) and give it a
good blow job from my air compressor, clean and re-grease the cpu
cooler, bring it back in and if I feel good, build it the latest 2.4
kernel & install it before I boot it for good & forget it for another
year. Reiserfs may be ok, but in the case where it does go bad, there
appear to be no good recovery tools.  The one time I did have to try
them it was so badly trashed that I had to re-install when it was done.
Now I keep backups of the important stuffs. :)

FWIW, I think the ext3 in later kernels 2.6.15.1+ can do 2 terrabyte
partitions now.  So your 500GB shouldn't be a problem.  Running 2.6.16
here now, seems stable so far on this box.

message by Gene Heskett are: