Amanda-Users

Re: Best filesystem type for larg (500G) dumpdisk

2006-03-27 09:12:47
Subject: Re: Best filesystem type for larg (500G) dumpdisk
From: Graeme Humphries <graeme.humphries AT vcom DOT com>
To: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 08:06:20 -0600
Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
> Reiser, to be frank, scares me.  I've heard too many horror stories
> about changing on-disk formats and the like.  Both ext3 and XFS have
> very solid, stable on-disk formats.
Just thought I'd throw my $.02 in to this discussion, as it seems
relevant. I used to use Reiser for all my systems, and laughed off the
issues other people reported. However, recently I had a fairly serious
amount of data loss due to a power outage when using Reiserfs (on Ubuntu
Breezy, 2.6.12 kernel, so not old tools), and I've since switched my
important data to XFS. It looks like Reiser (v3 at least) doesn't have
the level of atomicity I'd expect from the filesystem, and so even after
running their recovery tools, I lost a whole tree worth of data.

Feel free to use it yourself if you're confident you'll never lose
power, though. ;)

Graeme