Amanda-Users

Re: tape handling: amtapetype and new tapes

2005-11-25 11:36:29
Subject: Re: tape handling: amtapetype and new tapes
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: Jon LaBadie <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 11:26:51 -0500
On Fri, Nov 25, 2005 at 03:47:31PM +0000, Rodrigo Ventura wrote:

>     Inaki> No problem doing amlabel ISR006 right now, amanda will let
>     Inaki> you do the backup in ISR005 or ISR006, it is up to you.
>
> But how can I choose which?? Amanda handles the autoloader
> automatically, I have no control on what tape goes next.

Leave tapecycle at its current setting (5?), at least temporarily.

Label tape 6 and then remove it from the library.  Amanda will use
either any new tape it finds or a valid tape such as tape 5.  By
valid I mean previously used, but no more recently than "tapecycle"
number of dumps ago.  After the next dump, put tape 6 back in.

> Yeah, that command works for me. However, I'm not sure what happens
> when I powercycle the system. I'm not 100% sure the tape will always
> write in non-compression mode, once all labels were written with no
> compression.

Some linuxes have a command or file ?stinit? to define the default.
And on some you can setup additional tapedevices that are with and
without compression.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)