Amanda-Users

Re: amanda clears restored file.

2005-11-25 10:11:57
Subject: Re: amanda clears restored file.
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Francesc Guasch <frankie AT etsetb.upc DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 16:04:22 +0100
Francesc Guasch wrote:
Hi. I restored from amanda before without problems,
even a full server that crashed.

Now I'm trying to restore a directory. When I browse
it from amrecover I see the files that were in the
date I want to restore it. I mark the directory and
I do an lcd, then I start the restoring that requires
4 tapes.

When the first tape is finished I see amanda has
restored many files. It asks for more tapes, so we
carry on.

When amanda finishes it has removed most of the files
it restored from the first tape.

I can't understand it. If I can see the files from
amrecover, why does amanda removes it ?

In general it is not a suprise that amanda (actually
gnutar or restore!) *removes* files when restoring.
That can happen when:
1. restore a level 0:
    now you see all files as it was on that date
2. restore a level 1 from a fews day later:
    this will add files that were created since that
    last level 0, overwrite files that were modified
    but also delete files that were deleted between the level 0
    and level 1 backup moments.

Now, do you imply that you indicated to restore some files,
from the amrecover interface, they were restored after the level 0,
and then that same file is removed again after inserting tape for
level X?

If yes, I do like to see more details, like the debug file
on the server named "amidxtaped.DATETIME.debug", and the amanda.conf
file.

Do you have more than one backup from the same date?
Does some tape have multiple (autoflushed) dumps from the same host/DLE
from different dates?  (And you do not have "amrecover_do_fsf yes" nor
"amrecover_check_label yes"?)

* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *
* F6, quit, ZZ, :q, :q!, M-Z, ^X^C, logoff, logout, close, bye, /bye, *
* init 0, kill -9 1, Alt-F4, Ctrl-Alt-Del, AltGr-NumLock, Stop-A, ... *