Amanda-Users

Re: amanda clears restored file.

2005-11-25 10:08:16
Subject: Re: amanda clears restored file.
From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <sgw AT amanda DOT org>
To: Guy Dallaire <clepeterd AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 15:58:45 +0100
Guy Dallaire wrote:

2005/11/25, Stefan G. Weichinger <sgw AT amanda DOT org <mailto:sgw AT amanda DOT
org>>:

    Might sound strange, but are you sure that you use the non-rewinding
    tape-device when using amrecover?

    Stefan

Why would amanda erase what it extracted in this case ? In the worst case, what I would expect is amanda giving some sort of error instead

I once noticed the behavior that amrecover restored the requested files (by doing an amrestore in the back) and when it had finished restoring the related tar-file the usage of the rewinding tape-device caused the tapedrive to rewind so amrestore found the same tar-file "again" and started overwriting the already restored directory.

This was particularly annoying at the time I learnt about that: restoring from the last good tape at a client's site, and this tape was his last hope ... after a night of shoeshining I noticed the missing "n" in the devicefile used ;) after all it was a successful restore, yes.

But as I read in the other reply, Francesc uses the proper nonrewinding device ...

Stefan.