Amanda-Users

Re: Need help diagnosing hostname problems

2005-10-28 18:52:11
Subject: Re: Need help diagnosing hostname problems
From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <sgw AT amanda DOT org>
To: KEVIN ZEMBOWER <KZEMBOWE AT jhuccp DOT org>
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 00:29:33 +0200
KEVIN ZEMBOWER wrote:
Thank you, Olivier, Scott and Matt, for all your suggestions. Your
helpfulness is part of what makes Amanda a truly great solution.

AMANDA-users take care of each other ;-)

The problem, as you all suggested, seems to be the lack of a reverse
DNS look-up capability

I'm betting this might be a fairly common problem that some of you
all have solved before. What's your preferred solution? I can think
of a couple of alternatives, such as:

- set up my own DNS on one of
my hosts in the DMZ. This isn't too hard, but is one more thing to
maintain.

If "the folks who control the DNS" won't set up proper reverse-lookups for your hosts (this would be somehow unprofessional, AFAI see), I don't see any problem in setting up a local BIND with a "forwarders"-parameter pointing to the DNS of "the folks".

If your hosts are pretty static, there won't be much maintenance, just some initial setup.

Stefan

--
Stefan G. Weichinger
AMANDA core team member