Amanda-Users

Re: Need help diagnosing hostname problems

2005-10-20 09:39:16
Subject: Re: Need help diagnosing hostname problems
From: "KEVIN ZEMBOWER" <KZEMBOWE AT jhuccp DOT org>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 09:23:27 -0400
Thank you, Olivier, Scott and Matt, for all your suggestions. Your helpfulness
is part of what makes Amanda a truly great solution.

The problem, as you all suggested, seems to be the lack of a reverse DNS
look-up capability:
amanda@cn2:~$ host www.jhuccp.org
www.jhuccp.org has address 162.129.45.74
amanda@cn2:~$ head /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1       localhost
10.253.192.204  www.jhuccp.org
<snip>
amanda@cn2:~$ host -n 10.253.192.204
Host 204.192.253.10.in-addr.arpa not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
amanda@cn2:~$

My hosts are in a DMZ, in the 10.253.192/24 network. They're NATted to the
outside Internet as hosts in the 162.129.45/24 network. The solution proposed
by the folks who control the DNS was to use a /etc/hosts file. As you probably
know, this provides forward DNS-like lookups, but not reverse. At this point,
they seem unwilling to provide a split DNS that would resolve correctly in both
forward and reverse directions for the DMZ.

I'm betting this might be a fairly common problem that some of you all have
solved before. What's your preferred solution? I can think of a couple of
alternatives, such as:
- set up my own DNS on one of my hosts in the DMZ. This isn't too hard, but is
one more thing to maintain. I'd probably choose tinydns, since I already run
qmail.
- hack amanda to remove the check for reverse DNS. If this is preferred, can
anyone give me a hint where to find this and how to best do it?
- Can /etc/hosts or something related provide static reverse DSN look-ups? This
would be an easy solution, but I don't know of anything that does it.

Thanks you all, again, for all your suggestions and advice.

-Kevin

>>> Olivier Nicole <on AT cs.ait.ac DOT th> 10/19/05 09:36PM >>>
Hi,

> ERROR: www.jhuccp.org: [addr 10.253.192.205: hostname lookup failed]
> Client check: 2 hosts checked in 0.702 seconds, 1 problem found

That seems like network issue to me, rather than amanda issue.

Did you make sure that your amanda server can ping to www.jhuccp.org?

After renumbering did you change your DNS server address?

Bests,

olivier