Amanda-Users

Re: Email delivery

2005-10-28 10:57:28
Subject: Re: Email delivery
From: Lars Bakker <lars_bakker AT gmx DOT de>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 16:47:15 +0200
I guess I'll have to find some kind of wrapper script that works like
the mail program because my mailx installation does not work in
conjunction with Kolab2. I have tried to use nail (ln -s /usr/bin/nail
/usr/bin/mail) instead and reports seem to work fine but when I run
amcheck with the -m parameter no mail is sent. nail and mailx do not use
the same parameters but I kind of hoped that amanda would just use the
-s parameter for specifying the subject.

The above 'ln -s' command indicates you have the ability and
willingness to replace whatever is in /usr/bin/mail.

In that case, replace it with a shell script that will be a
/usr/bin/nail "wrapper".  I.e. one that takes amanda's arguments
intended for "mail" and and adjusts them to be appropriate for "nail".

That is what I intended to do. My Kolab2 server is not part of the
debian package system and that's why the local mail delivery is broken
or at least it's the reason for mailx not working properly. I haven't
had the time to solve this problem yet and there are several other
programs which use mailx. So maybe writing a wrapper would help.

What I did not mention before is that I'm using the chg-manual script.
When I took a look into that script I found out that there is a function
named  request() which asks the user to insert a tape and press return.
Right beneath it is another version of that function which is not
enabled by default and which provides an email based tape change
request. Consequently, I just changed the functions and everything
worked the way I wanted it to work.

-------
lars