Amanda-Users

Re: Configuration for Windows PC client

2005-10-07 15:25:50
Subject: Re: Configuration for Windows PC client
From: Chris Jones <chris-jones AT zen.co DOT uk>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 20:15:06 +0100
Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:

> Chris Jones wrote:
>
>>> Have you specified samba user and password in /etc/amandapass
>>> configuration file.
>

>> Yes, I have specified the amanda user exactly as specified for
>> each share.
>

> And does that user exist on the Windows-client? With proper
> permissions?

Yes. I am able to connect using my own userid.

> You have to connect using an existing windows-user, which is not
> necessarily the same as the AMANDA-user that runs AMANDA on your
> tapeserver.
>
> A common way of doing this is creating a user called backup on the
> Windows-machines, giving this user the rights of an Administrator
> and protecting it by a strong/long password.

Once I get this working, I may indeed implement that suggestion.

> You may check connections by using smbclient:
>
> smbclient -U yourWINDOWSbackupuser \\\\windowsPC\\shareXY Password:
>

> should get you something like this (taken from my Samba-server):
>
> Domain=[OOPSGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.13-1.1-SUSE] smb: \>

Agreed.  I get the following:-
-bash-3.00$ smbclient -U chris \\\\gandalf\\DocSetts
Password:
Domain=[GANDALF] OS=[Windows 5.0] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]
smb: \> exit
-bash-3.00$

In amandapass, should the workgroup entry be the same as the Workgroup
name used for Windows networking or the one shown in the smbclient
response above?

> If you can't connect like this, AMANDA can't either.
>
> Greets, Stefan.

I am still getting the same response when I run amcheck.

Could this be something to do with SELinux? I did have a problem until
yesterday with this preventing Samba from providing connections.
Having opened this up yesterday, I still got the amcheck (and amdump)
errors when trying to get amanda to connect to my Windoze box.

--
mailto:linux AT stow-jones.co DOT uk
Eat drink and be merry!  Tommorrow you may be in Utah.