Amanda-Users

Re: Configuration for Windows PC client

2005-10-06 04:36:11
Subject: Re: Configuration for Windows PC client
From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <sgw AT amanda DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 10:04:37 +0200
Chris Jones wrote:

Have you specified samba user and password in
/etc/amandapass configuration file.

Yes, I have specified the amanda user exactly as specified for each share.

And does that user exist on the Windows-client? With proper permissions?
You have to connect using an existing windows-user, which is not necessarily the same as the AMANDA-user that runs AMANDA on your tapeserver.

A common way of doing this is creating a user called backup on the Windows-machines, giving this user the rights of an Administrator and protecting it by a strong/long password.

You may check connections by using smbclient:

smbclient -U yourWINDOWSbackupuser \\\\windowsPC\\shareXY
Password:

should get you something like this (taken from my Samba-server):

Domain=[OOPSGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.13-1.1-SUSE]
smb: \>

If you can't connect like this, AMANDA can't either.

Greets, Stefan.

--
Stefan G. Weichinger
AMANDA core team member