Amanda-Users

Re: Running jobs as amanda vs. sudo

2005-08-21 23:54:29
Subject: Re: Running jobs as amanda vs. sudo
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Marcus <ashogunnamedmarcus AT yahoo DOT com>
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 22:38:05 -0500
<added the list as cc to give others a chance to reply as well, since I never
saw this post there>

--On Sunday, August 21, 2005 17:45:38 -0700 Marcus <ashogunnamedmarcus AT yahoo
DOT com> wrote:

>> Well, "don't work" is somewhat vague, but my guess
>
> Sorry about that, I typed that in a hurry.
>
>> If you are the amanda user and try 'mt -f
>> /dev/your_Tape_device rewind'
>> what exactly does it return? The mt  command is
> I looked at my permissions. Then after mt rewind, it
> returned to prompt. I had it eject and it did that
> too.
>
> However when I do amlabel it says "no slots
> available".

Does it work as root?  If so, perhaps your changer script or config
need to have their owner/group perms checked. Perhaps you ran it as
root the first time so your tapelist file is owned by root instead
of your Amanda user.

If you get the same error either way then your changer script isn't
configured properly.

>> In general, the fewer things run by root the safer
>> you are.
>
> In that light, is it better to set things up so I can
> run amanda as myself? I'm only using amanda for
> archival and no amdump will be automated here. Then I
> don't need to su to amanda.

If you are only planning to back up your files then it might
not matter, but if you are planning on doing more complete
backups then Amanda needs certain executables SUID root to
work.  Perhaps you didn't 'make install' as root and so didn't
get the proper executables SUID.

Frank