Amanda-Users

Re: Running jobs as amanda vs. sudo

2005-08-21 21:06:55
Subject: Re: Running jobs as amanda vs. sudo
From: Marcus <ashogunnamedmarcus AT yahoo DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 17:50:35 -0700 (PDT)
> Well, "don't work" is somewhat vague, but my guess

Sorry about that, I typed it up in a hurry.

> If you are the amanda user and try 'mt -f
> /dev/your_Tape_device rewind'
> what exactly does it return? The mt  command is
I checked my permissions. Then after mt rewind, it
returned to prompt. I had it eject and it did that
too.

However when I do amlabel it says "no slots
available".

> In general, the fewer things run by root the safer
> you are.

In that light, is it better to set things up so I can
run amanda as myself? I'm only using amanda for
archival and no amdump will be automated here. Then I
don't need to su to amanda.

Thanks!