Amanda-Users

Re: Running jobs as amanda vs. sudo

2005-08-21 19:34:19
Subject: Re: Running jobs as amanda vs. sudo
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Marcus <ashogunnamedmarcus AT yahoo DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 17:09:31 -0500
--On Sunday, August 21, 2005 13:23:38 -0700 Marcus <ashogunnamedmarcus AT yahoo
DOT com> wrote:

> When I do chg-zd-mtx tests as amanda they don't work,
> as root (via sudo) they do. How do I get mtx, mt and
> all those special commands to be accessible by the
> amanda user?

Well, "don't work" is somewhat vague, but my guess is that
you have permissions problem on the executables (less likely)
or on the actual devices (more likely).

If you are the amanda user and try 'mt -f /dev/your_Tape_device rewind'
what exactly does it return? The mt  command is probably executable
by anyone (you didn't mention the OS), but there is a good chance that
the tape device only has owner and group write permissions and that
your amanda user isn't currently a member of that group.

> I almost have mind just run jobs as sudo since that
> works so far and all my jobs will be manual, but from
> what I read that isn't "proper" :}

In general, the fewer things run by root the safer you are.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                                fsmith AT hoovers
DOT com