Amanda-Users

Re: Running jobs as amanda vs. sudo

2005-08-21 21:06:55
Subject: Re: Running jobs as amanda vs. sudo
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 20:53:46 -0400
On Sun, Aug 21, 2005 at 01:23:38PM -0700, Marcus wrote:
> When I do chg-zd-mtx tests as amanda they don't work,
> as root (via sudo) they do. How do I get mtx, mt and
> all those special commands to be accessible by the
> amanda user?

Huh?  Doesn't work?

Marcus, you wouldn't tell your auto-mechanic your
car "doesn't work", you'd tell them the symptoms,
the error lights, the messages, ...  Otherwise the
mechanic's first questions are the same as ours,
In what way doesn't it work?  What did you try,
what aspect failed?  What did you see, what were
the messages?

The fact that things 'work' for one user but not
another suggest environmental factors, paths,
permissions, location, other variables, ...
It could also be that your copy of amanda software
was compiled with a default amanda_user_name other
than the one you are trying to use.

The fact that the other user is root points more
toward permissions; permission to execute the
compiled programs and read and execute the scripts,
permission to read and/or write some devices and
configure files, permission to execute and possibly
read and write directories in the fullpath to the
above files and devices.  But the other environmental
factors have to be considered also.

> I almost have mind just run jobs as sudo since that
> works so far and all my jobs will be manual, but from
> what I read that isn't "proper" :}

Too early to give up.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)