Amanda-Users

Re: AIT2 tape size?

2005-08-18 08:33:49
Subject: Re: AIT2 tape size?
From: Toralf Lund <toralf AT procaptura DOT com>
To: Alexander Jolk <alexj AT buf DOT com>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 14:21:32 +0200
Alexander Jolk wrote:

Toralf Lund wrote:

the tape size is specified as 50Gb, and that's more or less what the "length" parameter in entry says, but it seems to me that it isn't actually possible to write that much data to these tapes. The maximum seems to be closer to 40Gb, actually.

That sounds like hardware compression of already software-compressed data. Are you sure you are not using both? (Or else, are AITs as intelligent as LTOs in not recompressing already compressed data?)

Ah, yes, of course. No, hardware compression is not supposed to be on. But I'm not sure it isn't... In fact, now that to mention it, I suspect it's on after all. I'll a have a closer look. And I very much doubt that the drive will auto-detect compressed data.

Thanks.

- Toralf