Amanda-Users

Re: amrestore from virtual tape

2005-07-19 15:04:27
Subject: Re: amrestore from virtual tape
From: Michael Weiser <michael AT weiser.dinsnail DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 20:32:37 +0200
On Tue, Jul 19, 2005 at 12:26:16PM -0400, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> > Ah, reading the man page and RTFMing the documentation helps a bit - I
> Oh my gosh, now there is an idea, RTM ;))

My point exactly. ;)

> > That, of course, would be a viable alternative to extracting the
> > archives using amrestore. But how efficient/fast is that for whole disks?
> Never timed it, but a WAG is that it would be similar.  The actual commands
> executing are the same except for the network transfer piece.

> One thing to consider is that amrecover would restore to the state as of
> a particular date.  It would take the virtual tapes and dump files in
> the corrrect order.  Also, if the date you pick the restoration point
> was an incremental, I believe files deleted between the level 0 and the
> incremental will also be deleted in your amrecover'ed result.  These
> things would have to be done by humans with amrestore.

Ack.

> > The documentation on www.amanda.org seems to focus on amrestore for
> > whole disks and advertises amrecover for individual files.
> As is appropriate!  Your OP questioned the possibility of amrecover
> for the purpose, thus my comments.

Thanks for your insights. I still need someone to definitely confirm
that my way of accessing the vtape files with amrestore is right or give
the proper way to do it, though. But what the heck - I can recover back
and forth and sideways now using amrecover on any machine I like. ;)
--
bye, Michael
Against!