Amanda-Users

How smart is AMANDA

2005-07-12 18:31:28
Subject: How smart is AMANDA
From: Chris Saunders <chris AT pbconsult DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 16:18:28 -0600
I am in search of a backup solution for 25 linux boxes and 10 WinXP boxes spread out in 3 different cities. Amanda seems quite capable of handling straight forward backups, however my situation is a bit difficult.

I will be the only one doing these backups and I would like the process to be as automated as possible. Our linux boxes run traffic simulation models that can take 25 to 30 hours to run. Our engineers relentlessly run these boxes almost non-stop. Our simulations are extremly heavy on the I/O, so running a backup while a simulation is running is out of the question. And since these simulations take so long to run, telling my engineers they cannot use the machine over the weekend because of a scheduled backup would not work at all.

So I need a smart backup plan that can adjust to different schedules based on machine avaliability, but at the end of the week have a dump of each machine. Any ideas? Is there a way for AMANDA to determine if a machine is busy or idle and do the backup only when it is idle? On the same token can it pause its backup of that box if another simulation is started.

Would I have any issues dumping to disk or NAS?

Thanks for the help!

Chris Saunders
PBConsult