Amanda-Users

Re: Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers

2005-04-26 10:08:46
Subject: Re: Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 09:57:30 -0400
On Tue, Apr 26, 2005 at 06:55:35AM -0500, Bryan K. Walton wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 26, 2005 at 01:38:43AM -0400, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> > Some said it was a defect in gzip/gunzip or the builtin compressor.
>
> Hmm, I haven't tried a different version of gzip.  I'll have to look
> at that.
>
> > Some said it was data corruption as the data were archived.
>
> I hope not.  With this particular set of files I am trying to restore,
> I am getting these errors from every backup I try.
>
> > Some said it was the lack of using the "j" option.
>
> Where would this be supplied?
>
> > Some said it was a version thing, try a different one.
>
> Of Amanda or tar?

These were all questions on mailing lists about why gnutar
was giving errors.  Amanda was not part of the topics.

Maybe as the headers were "obsolescent", an older version
might work.  Or a newer gtar.

The "j" option was supposed to be for gnutar, but I saw none.

> > And Jorg Shilling said try to unpack it with his 'star' program.
>
> Thanks Jon.  That last suggestion gets me back to my other question to
> the list yesterday. Specifically, how do I get Amanda to use Star
> instead of dump or gnutar? I don't know if it even possible.

Many have asked, none reported success.  There is no overall plan
I'm aware of to support star.  I think it is a bit too different
in its option syntax.  Plus I 'think' a major stumbling point is
that it doesn't support the "gnutar-list" feature that amanda
uses to do incremental backups.

Alexander J was correct about my refering to "gtar".  On a true
unix OS (as opposed to linux'es) your utilities are from AT&T/BSD
rather than GNU and other freeware producers.  For my Solaris
system, Sun supplies a CD of freeware called the Companion CD.
This installs the gnu utilities (and lots of other goodies),
in its own directory tree and names conflicting ones with a "g"
at the start of the name.  For the common "ls" command I have:

  /usr/bin/ls           AT&T's System VR4 version
  /usr/ucb/ls           BSD's version
  /usr/xpg4/bin/ls      A POSIX compatible version
  /usr/xpg6/bin/ls      A newer POSIX standard compatible version
  /opt/sfw/bin/gls      A gnu version

And I could also get /opt/csw/bin/ls from blastwave.com and
/usr/local/bin/ls from sunfreeware.com (both gnu).

Fun!!

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)