Amanda-Users

Re: Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers

2005-04-25 16:40:25
Subject: Re: Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers
From: Michael Loftis <mloftis AT wgops DOT com>
To: "Bryan K. Walton" <bryanw AT weccusa DOT org>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 14:27:55 -0600

--On Monday, April 25, 2005 14:40 -0500 "Bryan K. Walton" <bryanw AT weccusa DOT org> wrote:

I'm trying to restore some files and am running into errors.  Some
background:

The directory I am trying to restore sits on the same machine as the
actual amanda backup server.  Both the amanda client and amanda server
are 2.4.4p3. I'm restoring the files on the same machine that did the
actual backing up.  I'm using tar version 1.13.25.  From my research on
the web, I know that there have been problems with certain version of
tar, but 1.13.25 is supposed to be a good version.  And since I'm using
the same machine to extract as I am to compress, it seems that there
shouldn't be any problems with different compression algorithms.
Regardless of whether I use amrecover or amrestore, I get errors:

The two most common reasons i get these are 1) using the rewinding instead of non-rewinding tape device on accident, and 2) not using the correct restore programs.

not sure on your exact error but it might be worth a thought. the tape device you should be using will be /dev/nst? (/dev/nst0).

hopefully this is somewhere for you to look.