Amanda-Users

Re: Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers

2005-04-26 01:51:17
Subject: Re: Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 01:38:43 -0400
On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 07:38:34PM -0500, Bryan K. Walton wrote:
> Hi Jon,
>       Thanks for the email.  I tried what you said, please read
> below:

I was afraid it would not work.

This will not be comforting, but you are not alone.

I googled for the "obsolescent base-64 header" message and found
hundreds (thousands?) of hits.  May have been some earlier, but
at least as early as 2001.  Most were mailing list help requests.
I followed several, none to successful conclusion.

Some said it was a defect in gzip/gunzip or the builtin compressor.
Some said it was data corruption as the data were archived.
Some said it was the lack of using the "j" option.
Some said it was a version thing, try a different one.
And Jorg Shilling said try to unpack it with his 'star' program.

jl
 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)