Amanda-Users

Re: very large dumps in holding area

2005-04-21 13:15:47
Subject: Re: very large dumps in holding area
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Vicki Stanfield <vicki AT progeny DOT com>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 13:03:46 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 at 10:49am, Vicki Stanfield wrote

> Well, I didn't remember to turn off software compression before this
> run, so that is obviously a problem.
>
> The whole tape definition is:
> # our tape definition
> define tapetype HP-C5683A {
>         comment "DDS-4 DAT tape"
>         length 16584 mbytes
>         filemark 452 kbytes
>         speed 2613 kbytes
> }
>
> The length was set before I got here, but I googled around and it seemed
> to be in keeping with the other HP-C5683A entries that I found. Is it
> not correct?
>
> If the dump is 28GB, should it not fit on a 20GB tape if it is
> compressed. Aren't the tapes basically 20/40GB?

OK, so it looks like its time for the amanda and compression lecture.

Amanda can use software (i.e. the dumps are compressed with gzip as
they're made) or hardware (your tape drive's internal) compression.  If
you use software, you must be sure to turn off your tape drive's hardware
compression (unless you're using LTO, which has a smart hardware
compressor, apparently).

When using software compression, your tape length is set to the native
capacity of your tapes.  The advantage is that amanda knows just how much
the data compresses, and just how long your tapes are, and so can more
efficiently plan how to put data on the tapes.  The disadvantage is the
used CPU.

When using hardware compression, you must lie to amanda about how big your
tapes are.  You must estimate how compressible your data is, and increase
your tape length definition proportionally.  If you end up hitting EOT
frequently, your data isn't as compressible as you thought, and you need
to dial back the tape length.  Be aware that manufacturers' claims of 2X
compression (or 2.6X in the case of Sony and AIT) are, in general, a pipe
dream.  The advantage of hardware compression is the saved CPU cycles.

Clearer?

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering