Amanda-Users

Re: very large dumps in holding area

2005-04-21 11:32:36
Subject: Re: very large dumps in holding area
From: Vicki Stanfield <vicki AT progeny DOT com>
To: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 10:21:19 -0400
Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 at 9:24am, Vicki Stanfield wrote

I am having a problem with amanda leaving very large dumps in the holding area and not writing them to tape. The tapes are 20/40GB tapes, but a 23GB dump doesn't get written even though there is a blank tape available. Even if I try to flush this dump, it runs for a long time and then errors again with "No space left on device."

Are you using software or hardware compression? What does your tapetype look like?

The dumps were flushed to tapes Progeny01-0043, Progeny01-0044.
*** A TAPE ERROR OCCURRED: [[writing file: No space left on device]].
Some dumps may have been left in the holding disk.
Run amflush again to flush them to tape.
The next 2 tapes Amanda expects to used are: Progeny01-0020, Progeny01-0021.
*snip*

You clipped the *really* interesting part -- the line in the NOTES section from taper. What's that line look like?

Okay. The tapetype is: HP-C5683A.

I'm guessing that the holding area isn't big enough (which I had been told before I admit, but since it's on its own partition I haven't done anything about it). I remember hearing that you can combine two holding areas as one; is that possible for me to add space from another drive and combine it with my current holding area? Where can I find instructions on how to do that?

NOTES:
 driver: WARNING: /var/spool/amanda: 36505600 KB requested, but only 8085788 KB
available.
 planner: Incremental of pollux:/net/pollux/project/new-ps-archive/60 bumped to
level 3.
 planner: Incremental of morimoto:/net/morimoto/home bumped to level 6.
 planner: Incremental of morimoto:/var bumped to level 2.
 planner: morimoto /net/morimoto/home 20050421 0 [dump larger than tape,
39666051 KB, full dump delayed]

Thanks,
Vicki