Amanda-Users

Re: SATA hardware raid/multiple disk controllers/pci bus performance (was Re: slow client)

2005-04-12 15:02:46
Subject: Re: SATA hardware raid/multiple disk controllers/pci bus performance (was Re: slow client)
From: Geert Uytterhoeven <geert AT linux-m68k DOT org>
To: Eric Dantan Rzewnicki <rzewnickie AT rfa DOT org>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 20:56:46 +0200 (CEST)
On Tue, 12 Apr 2005, Eric Dantan Rzewnicki wrote:
> My current amanda server lives on one big 1.4TB partition on an SATA
> hardware raid controller. Copying from the holding disk to file-tapes on
> the same device has so far been limited to about 15MB/s. This seems
> quite slow to me. Does amanda add any overhead above a simple copy on
> the same device? An hdparm -t on this system when it's idle gives around
> 58MB/s.

Just for comparison...

I don't use a holding disk, but my vtapes are on the same (single) SATA disk as
the other data on my backup machine.

While hdparm -t claims ca. 55 MB/s for the raw disk, level 0 dumps (actually
tars) from my digital picture collection (ca 1.3 MB/file) to the vtapes are
performed at 10-13 MB/s.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                                                Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- geert AT linux-m68k
DOT org

                                                            -- Linus Torvalds