Amanda-Users

Re: SATA hardware raid/multiple disk controllers/pci bus performance (was Re: slow client)

2005-04-13 03:49:12
Subject: Re: SATA hardware raid/multiple disk controllers/pci bus performance (was Re: slow client)
From: Martin Hepworth <martinh AT solid-state-logic DOT com>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 08:37:53 +0100
hdparm is good for getting raw info, but you'll need something like bonnie++ to get actual file stats.

--
Martin Hepworth
Snr Systems Administrator

Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
On Tue, 12 Apr 2005, Eric Dantan Rzewnicki wrote:

My current amanda server lives on one big 1.4TB partition on an SATA
hardware raid controller. Copying from the holding disk to file-tapes on
the same device has so far been limited to about 15MB/s. This seems
quite slow to me. Does amanda add any overhead above a simple copy on
the same device? An hdparm -t on this system when it's idle gives around
58MB/s.

Just for comparison...

I don't use a holding disk, but my vtapes are on the same (single) SATA disk as
the other data on my backup machine.

While hdparm -t claims ca. 55 MB/s for the raw disk, level 0 dumps (actually
tars) from my digital picture collection (ca 1.3 MB/file) to the vtapes are
performed at 10-13 MB/s.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                                                Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- geert AT linux-m68k
DOT org

                                                            -- Linus Torvalds

the system manager.