Amanda-Users

Recommendations on combined backup to HD/DVD

2005-04-12 14:44:26
Subject: Recommendations on combined backup to HD/DVD
From: Dave Sherohman <dsherohman AT westling DOT com>
To: Amanda List <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 13:32:07 -0500
Hey, all!

I've got a client who was running backups to tape using amanda for several
years and the backup server finally died.  After much discussion, the
decision was reached to replace it with a new box mounting a pair of 160G
hard drives (in a  RAID1 mirror) and a pair of external DVD burners.
I figure the hard drives will comfortably handle 3 weeks' worth of
backups (amanda was previously averaging a little over 7G/night, M-F,
so rounding that up to 8G/run * 5 runs/week * 3 weeks = 120G, leaving
40G for formatting info, the OS, etc.), plus they want the backups burned
to DVD (presumably nightly, as 7+G will fill most of 2 DVDs) and, on top
of that, they want to see how often it's feasible to send copies of the
backups to another facility via T-1 (either nightly or weekly).

My amanda experience to date has been entirely with standard runtapes=1,
changer=manual setups, so I'm not entirely sure of the best way to
do configure this.  I expect that the backups to HD should be pretty
straightforward using the vtape driver and I assume that doing the
offsite with a script run from cron independently of amanda should
be even easier.  The DVDs I'm not so sure about, though.  Would it be
possible (and advisable...) to get amanda to write the backups to DVD and
vtape concurrently, or will I need to set up another script to run after
amanda is done, sort the night's backups into two DVD-sized chunks, and
burn them?  (Or, for that matter, would it be best to set up a weekly
archival config for amanda and just let it spill over onto >2 DVDs,
since that version is intended for long-term archiving anyhow?)